Double Golden Celebration at Manchester South
It was delayed by 2 years, but on Sabbath the 5th November Manchester South Seventh-day Adventist Church finally got to celebrate its 50th Golden Anniversary with a special thanksgiving service. Past and present members, together with visitors and friends packed into the church to help celebrate and remember all the memories that had been generated since the very first worship service on 5th June 1959. It was an extra special day as the church was also officially re-dedicated to the Lord; following the completion of major building work involving the complete renovation of both the church’s interior and exterior.
NEC President Pastor Cyril Sweeney, himself a former intern at Manchester South, delivered an impactful message to the congregation; reminding them that church is more than a building. Pastor Sweeney charged the members to open their arms to those who come through the doors, no matter of their appearance, and when leaving the church our faces and demeanour should be a witness that we have been in the presence of the Lord. Another former minister Pastor Richard Brooks led the Dedication Litany, while current minister Pastor Mapp introduced the programme and rounded up the trio of minsters.
In the morning Sister Lorna Hewitt, the church’s longest serving member and current church clerk, both entertained and informed with the story of how she was involved when the Adventist church in Manchester began in the 1930s. Back then a 6-day working week was standard practice and it was very difficult for members to both be in employment and keep the Sabbath.
There were many other highlights of the day; including recognising the individual contributions of certain members with plaques, and the specially formed mass choir’s rousing Hallelujah Chorus, which lifted the new roof!